Attacking Leonopteryx from Avatar Wallpaper
Shown here on the attack in mid flight is a Great Leonopteryx (Na’vi name: Toruk meaning “Last Shadow”). From the James Cameron movie Avatar.
This attacking Great Leonopteryx (Na'vi name: Toruk meaning "Last Shadow") is a species of airborne predatory animals native to Pandora. Scientifically, it is known as Leonopteryx rex - "flying king lion" (from the greek word λέων leon meaning lion, πτέρυξ pteryx meaning wing, and the latin word rex, meaning king). From the James Cameron movie Avatar.
The fierce beauty and nobility of the Leonopteryx gave the species a central place in Na'vi lore and culture. It is celebrated in dance, song, and with elaborate totems that symbolize both the fear and respect given to the creature. Indeed, the Leonopteryx is crucial to the Na'vi's sense of destiny and interconnectedness. This creature's name in Na'vi translates roughly to "Last Shadow," as its preferred method of attack is from above. Therefore, the last thing its prey sees is its shadow. The Leonopteryx is carnivorous, feeding on mainly Mountain and Forest Banshees, and occasionally on Medusa. Under the rainforest canopy, the Leonopteryx will sometimes feed on ground animals such as Hexapede. It has no known threat from other creatures, and remains a solitary predator. This image is copyright 20th Century Fox.
Avatar is an Oscar award winning 2009 epic science fiction film written and directed by James Cameron and starring Sam Worthington (Jake Sully), Zoe Saldana (Neytiri), Sigourney Weaver (Dr. Grace Augustine), Stephen Lang (Colonel Miles Quaritch), Joel David Moore (Norm Spellman), and Michelle Rodriguez (Trudy Chacon). The film is set in 2154, when humans are mining a precious mineral called unobtanium on Pandora, a lush moon of a gas giant in the Alpha Centauri star system. The expansion of the mining colony threatens the continued existence of a local tribe of Na'vi—a humanoid species indigenous to Pandora. The film's title refers to the genetically engineered Na'vi-human hybrid bodies used by a team of researchers to interact with the natives of Pandora. Avatar movie wallaper desktop background picture iphone wallpaper Avatar ipad wallpaper image.
- Click preview image above to download or view full size free desktop wallpaper.
- Right-click on full size image and select option to set as wallpaper or desktop background/picture.
- Tap preview image above to display full size wallpaper image for the iPhone/iPad.
- Touch and hold your finger on the image until the side-up menu appears and select "Save Image".
- Go to Settings and select Wallpaper.
- Select either the lock screen or springboard background.
- Select "Camera Roll" and find the image you saved in step 2 and tap it.
- Move and scale the image as desired, then tap "set" to set iPhone/iPad wallpaper background.
- These pictures are NOT stock photos and may not be used as such.
- Wallpaper images are licensed for personal use as desktop backgrounds ONLY.
- All commercial use of these images and pictures is prohibited.
- These desktop backgrounds and wallpapers may NOT be reproduced, retransmitted, or redistributed in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, without express written consent.
- Wallpaper may NOT be altered or modified.
- The watermark on the picture may NOT be altered, removed or obscured.